Wednesday, May 20, 2009

UNLV Dental Simulation Course

It’s that time of year again—Nate—running the Dental School Simulation Course he started three years ago(it still amazes us that when he came up with the idea as a first year student, the school actually went along with it). 

Being the third time around, we’ve got it down to a science and it’s nice because a few of the 1st and 2nd year students played a big part in getting it organized this year (good thing too because this may be Nate’s last course since he’s graduating next year—unless they decide to keep him around UNLV for Ortho!).

Between last weekend’s course and the one we have coming up in June, more than 150 undergraduate students from about 30 universities will participate in this year’s courses.  It is a lot of work, but it’s always fun to see them turn out so well (although I think we’re both ready for a break).

During the two-day course the participants get to wax a tooth, use a drill to cut on plastic teeth, make molds, use amalgam and composite to fill the plastic teeth and much more!  Exciting!

05 15 09_0654

05 15 09_0669

05 15 09_0658

05 15 09_0664

05 15 09_0679

05 15 09_0683

05 15 09_0696

05 16 09_0627

05 16 09_0650

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So are these dental students getting practice on dummies and stuff? When do they get to start working on real patients? It seems like a really cool thing he got started! Thats awesome!

Meagan said...

Way to go Nate!! That should be a good resume builder, huh?! And Stacie, it's been too long...we need to catch up... :)

Trimbles said...

Wow, you have been busy! Dont know where to even start! Im glad the sim course went well again. Nate is such a stud. And I LOVED WICKED too! Saw it twice. Still not enough. Need to see it again. Bellas dance class is so cute too. SHe's so big!!! Im freaking terrified! AHHHHHH. And poor Sophie. That rash is terrible! Claire got a little rash too. I dont know what sh'es allergic too, I already switched her formula. It looks a little better today. What else...??? I dont know. Im glad you're busy and well.

Hammels said...

Wow Nate! Perhaps Nate should open up his own dental school?! Looks interesting...

meg said...

Aaron is really going to miss his partner in crime next year! and, thanks for taking his photo for him.

Brooke said...

Hey, this is pretty neat :) Awesome!
Okay, thanks Stacie for your kind comment, lol. Um.. yah, I sooooOOooo wish I could attend the secret. I am saving up for it one day. But, love the fact that you were able to compare me to their work :) How are you doing?! Are you going to the reunion?

Anna said...

So I haven't checked any blogs in like 2 months. I had a lot of catching up. Sounds like a lot of fun you have been up to. Hope to see you guys soon.

Lindzie said...

dear stacie's blog:

we miss your cute girls and updates! what have you been up to this summer??