Monday, September 12, 2011

When life throws a LEMON...

My heart is broken.

Tears seem to have carved a permanent path down my cheeks and I have hyperventilated at least seven times since Saturday. It all happened so fast.

My favorite camera is gone.

I was doing a little impromptu session for a dear friend, with my girls in tow (something I never do), but Nate was out of town. As we finished up and went to get packed up, I set my camera on the trunk of my car. I got the girls buckled and situated, said goodbye to my friends, and drove off … with my camera still on the back of my car.

Who does that?!!!!!! I feel so stupid.

I noticed very quickly (we're talking less than a couple of minutes after leaving) that my camera was not snuggled in its designated and protected spot in my bag and I had a heart attack. Overwhelmed with dread and fear and despair I whirled the car around and drove as fast as I could to the only place it could have fallen off.

But it was gone. If it had been run over there would have been pieces. Someone picked it up.

Surely the person who found it would turn it in. Surely.

In between gasps for air I called a friend to come help me. We scoured the roads, sides of the roads, and called the police. I must have looked pretty awful and pathetic because a nice gentleman pulled over and thought I was in some kind of trouble and offered me some help. I wish he had found my camera. Bless his heart.

To make matters worse – all the images from my session Saturday morning and my friend’s session were on the disc – in the camera. It’s just so awful….awful.

The police came out and I filed a report with them. The officer was very nice but I could tell he was trying hard not to laugh at me. I’m sure I was quite the sight. Tear streaked cheeks telling him about how I left an insanely expensive piece of equipment on the back of my car… and drove off. Funny?! Probably. I hope I make it there and can laugh about it. Maybe in hindsight.

My girls were so very sweet. Each offering me plenty of hugs and kisses and prayers. It made me grateful for their safety. Even though right now it’s hard for me to see past the gravity of the situation I know it could be worse. Much worse. And that’s what I am holding onto right now. I cry often…and am definitely one tear away from another break down but prioritizing helps. My camera was my most prized possession. And frankly, the most expensive thing I own, but that’s all it was – a possession.

{Friends, please remind me of this when I am crying on your shoulder.}

I still have my family. And friends. And health. A girl couldn’t ask for anything more. I certainly can’t wait for my husband to return home so I can bury my head in his chest and know that everything will be ok.

I pray that whoever took my camera finds it in their hearts to turn it in. And if not, I hope that they really need it for the money. So far nothing has come up.

Anyways - thanks for letting me rant. It’s been very therapeutic and I do think I will mend. I am already working on getting my camera replaced, hopefully by the end of the week!! I’m down, but I’m not out! =)

Lemonade anyone? {sigh}

4 comments:

Hammels said...

Oh Stacie. I am so sorry. I hope someone finds it and then finds you. As for leaving it... if I actually remembered to take my camera anywhere I would surely forget it. Hugs to you.

Ben and Cynda said...

I can't believe it. I am so sorry. Let's hope someone will turn it in. Keep me updated.

Renee (and Eric) said...

Just popping in to say hello...I miss your gorgeous smiles and laughs. SO very, very sorry about the camera. And I totally get it. All those emotions. I totally know. We had our personal computer stolen while we were in Tahiti. I had left it out in the house and someone came in through our door while we were sleeping and grabbed it. I felt so dumb for leaving it out (but also incredibly invaded and depressed about people being evil). But in any case the worst of it was the pictures on the computer that lost because I had not backed them up yet. About three months worth. Our first three months in Tahiti. Pictures are my touchstones in these crazy days---how I journal out my world with my little people. A camera...a computer...I know we have to remind ourselves the are possessions, but some of those things become extensions of ourselves and when it comes to pictures--those are so much a part of us. So it is something to totally mourn and be sad about. I wish I could be there to give you a big hug. I know how awful this must have been for you. Plus you're an artist and your camera is your tool--it is the brush you paint with. It must have truly felt like losing a part of your body!

We did get a little break with the cost of replacement. Your homeowners or renters insurance covers your possessions even outside of your home. So if you haven't already, see if you can file a claim with your insurance.

Take care!!! You'll be back to making beautiful pictures and memories again soon.

BIG HUGS TO you.
Renee

Jess said...

Has the camera shown up???

I remember when my favorite lens (50mm f/1.2) was stolen. I cried for nearly 2 weeks straight. I can totally understand where you're coming from.

Images are irreplaceable but cameras are. In my case, we had renters/homeowner's insurance and they were able to reimburse me the cost of the lens minus a $250 deductible (so worth it!)