Monday, October 25, 2010

We did it!

Tube Surgery - done. We did it!! I say we because I think I felt more stressed about it then Sophie did. =) Ha ha.

We arrived at the surgery center at around 8:15, filled out some paperwork and then headed back to the pre-surgery room. They talked us through the whole procedure and of course Sophie could tell something was amiss when they put the hospital bracelet on her foot, so the poor girl got pretty scared. We felt so bad for her!! She definitely didn't want anyone touching her - it was funny because after we took her shoes off to change her into the gown, she just kept yelling (through the sobs) "put my shoes on" - I guess she wanted out of there!

(I only had my cell phone camera with me - so the pictures are a little fuzzy - sorry. Ha ha.)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After seeing poor little Soph's apprehension, the doctor had a nurse bring in some "special" medicine to calm her down - but I think it had the opposite effect. Ha ha.

She couldn't stop laughing and giggling and moving. It was so funny - even Bella was amazed at how funny Sophie thought everything was - all the nurses kept poking their heads in our room to find out where the cute little laugh was coming from - that would be our silly Poonbug. Ha ha. Quite the happy little drunk.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Eventually the medicine started to work - and she started to look really loopy. Ha ha. So we finally tried to get her dressed in her little gown, but she didn't want to have anything to do with it until...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

...Daddy handed her his wallet. Ha ha. Such a girl - even when she is only half aware - she still knows that a wallet is where it's at. She had fun pulling his cards out and putting them back in until the nurses came to get her.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Ahh!

This was the hardest part. They had to just take her from me - and I had to let her go - screaming. So so hard. All I wanted to do was run to her and save her - but - it's one of those things - where you know that she needs it - and it's going to be so much better in the long run - but still. Ugh.

I hope to never have to do anything like that again.

Bella waited so patiently - constantly checking to see if she could see or hear her little Sophie. After waiting...and waiting...and waiting...which really was only about twenty minutes but seemed like an eternity - they called us back to her.

We found her slowly coming out of her little groggy sleep. She was so funny - the nurses offered her an otter pop - and the cut the top off and gave it to her - but she insisted on trying to eat the bottom part that was still in the plastic. We all got a good laugh over that one. She kept telling us how good it was - so so yummy - but all she was really licking was the wrapper. Ha ha. When she was more cognizant we were able to load her in the car with us and we were off. She was a little disgruntled in the car. And gave us another good laugh with her very upset faces. So funny.

Photobucket

I'm so glad that everything went well - she seemed to be back to normal after a long nap this afternoon - and has only complained of some minor ear pain every now and then. Hopefully it will go away within the next few days and we will be ear ache free!! Hooray!

Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers! We so appreciate it! And special thanks to Grandma Noorda and Papa for their cookies and care package! Sophie was over-the-moon excited to get them in the mail! And also - Grandma and Grandpa Hawley - who also sent a package - watching the girls excitedly parade the packages around the house you would have though it was Christmas! It was a great day for mail! Ha ha.

(Pictures to come soon of the girls opening them!!)

3 comments:

Meagan said...

SOOO glad to see that her surgery went well!! It's nerve-racking to have anything medical go wrong with your kids. Hope the tubes help her to not get any more ear aches...that's no fun!

Marissa Noe said...

I am so happy that her surgery went well! I know it can be hard on a mother to see her baby being taken away by the doctors! And nothing is more heartbreaking than seeing a little girl in a hospital gown... But it sounds like she did great and that you did too :)

Megan said...

Such a brave little one! Good job Mom, I know that is gut wrenching to send them down the hall to surgery... hope recovery is fast and smooth.