Monday, February 14, 2011

Here we go...

Photobucket

With Bella turning 5 this year (oh where did my baby go?), I've been counting down - in a not so excited way - to August when she starts kindergarten. I'm just not sure I'm ready to let her go, but I have plenty of time until then, right? Well, it seemed so far away until today - Kindergarten REGISTRATION. Yes it's only February, but Bella is now officially registered and the much anticipated day in August is sure starting to feel very close.

Registration in Kentucky is a big deal, and quite frankly I've been a little stressed about it. The morning of registration at the elementary school is a lot like the morning of a new iPhone release at the Apple store - people show up hours before registration opens, lines form, numbers are given out to identify your place in line, and of course the uneasy feeling of wondering if you are going to be one of the lucky ones to get it! You see classes fill up on a first come, first served basis, so even though we live only a couple of block away from the school, if I don't register Bella early enough, she have to be bused across town to a school that has room. Who knew it could be so cut-throat!

Following the sage advice of some school saavy friends (thanks Jennie!!), I arrived at registration about TWO HOURS before it opened and took the coveted first spot in line! The office ladies looked at me like I was crazy when I walked in ready for registration at 7:00 AM - and I almost agreed with them - until the line began to form behind me. As more and more anxious parents filed into line, I became less nervous as I held the "#1" card, knowing the Bella would be the first registered. The wait ended up not being too bad either as I sat back in one of the only comfy little chairs (good thing I was there early to get one), played games on my iphone and chatted with other eager moms.

As I sat there I took in all the hustle and bustle of elementary school life, the kids and teachers coming and going, the smell of fresh pencils and old library books, the happy and tired little faces eager for a new day of possiblities and I realized how much I missed this little scene. I loved school when I was little - and I loved it when I taught. And now here I am as a parent and I'm excited for Bella to be in school and love it as well. That still doesn't mean that I'm ready to let go, but at least I know she's going to love it!

Sandersville Elementary here we come. Go SHARKS!

P.S. Stay tunned for other Valentine news...coming...hopefully tonight. Ha ha.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woohoo!!! I'm so glad you made it!! I have a very similar picture that I took last year of my number!! Us crazy, OCD, mothers must stick together!

Meagan said...

Wow!!! That's crazy. So glad you got her in at the school you wanted! I would've totally been just like you, getting there super early, just to make sure. :) That'll be me next year...we're holding off on sending Alec for another year.