Friday, February 11, 2011

Little Bits of Love

Oh, Valentines Day - the day of love, chocolate dipped strawberries, candies, date nights, sweet little gifts, heart pancakes, red and pink, I love you's, a few extra pounds (ha ha) and...

HEART CRAYONS!!

In the grand tradition of passing out valentines at preschool parties, the girls and I make these colorful little gems to give out each year (something a little different from the normal candy). With the girls old enough to help unwrap the crayons, break them into little pieces and help put them in the mold, we spent a couple of mornings creating these little beauties. We started making these crayons a few years ago after I saw the idea in FamilyFun magazine and the tradition has stuck!

Every year we try to mix it up a bit and create unique ways to deliver our little treasures. This year I found a darling little design from Melissa Davis (Girl Valentines Collection for $7.11 during her 48 hour sale!!), which I modified a tad to go with our hearts.

Photobucket

Here is how you can make your own!!

  1. Unwrap crayons (although in our house by this time of year most of our new crayons from the beginning of school have somehow mysteriously unwrapped themselves).
  2. Break crayons into pieces (a fun way is to put them into a bag and smash outside).
  3. Place crayon pieces into mold, making sure to place multiple colors in each mold.
  4. Bake in oven at 250 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Leave in mold until solid.


Photobucket

And then here they are finished! Ready to color some love!

Photobucket

And here are our little love notes. So so cute.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Kellie Connors said...

OMG !!! Amazing!

Rachel B. said...

This is so cute, Stacie! I tried commenting a couple days ago (my computer was being lame), but I ended up stealing this idea from you. My cards definitely weren't as cute as yours, but I love how fun and easy the crayons were. Thanks for sharing!

Elder Larkin said...

Soo cute! Love your photo's and your girls are too adorable! Quick question, which lense is your very favorite?? Which lense did you use for these photos?