Thursday, August 11, 2011

Little Pieces

Who's excited for KINDERGARTEN?!!!

Photobucket

THIS little girl that's who!!

Bella was bursting with excitement at finally joining the ranks of the elementary elite and getting out the door this morning she was literally jumping for joy and all. With the school being right by our house, she's been staring longingly at the big front doors as we drive past it for the last year, patiently waiting for her turn.

Today was finally that day. As we passed through those doors, our lives would change forever - no longer is Bella my little stay-at-home buddy, she's a BIG KID now! While Bella seems to be ready for this, I seem to barely be holding all my pieces together. AHhh!

We got up early - early - did I mention early?! School starts at 7:45, so we had to majorly rush. I didn't get to hug her and kiss her as much as I would have liked (all day) - and I definitely didn't get to take as many pictures as I had imagined. We got dressed, did hair, skipped the make-up, ate breakfast and ran out the door. I kind of expected this - so at this point I was just glad to have everything we needed ready to go.

Walking into the school, I bit my tongue to hold back the tears. All the normal thoughts passed through my mind - Did I prepare her for this? Will she be a good friend? Will she be an example for good? Is she ready?

I hope so.

Last night in preparation for today - and maybe as my one last ditch effort to fill her little mind with as much wisdom as any five year old could handle - we held a special back to school family home evening. I wanted to teach her something that would stand out to her, something she could remember when she was sitting at school without us there to light her way. And that's when it hit me. LIGHT. She was a light. Each and everyone of us can be a light.

I gathered my little family and we headed to the place where we do our best thinking - the bathroom. Ha ha. I actually just needed a dark room - so we all huddled in close as we talked about how one little candle's light was enough to fill the whole room. And just like this candle, we can fill the room with the light of our SAVIOR - by the choices we make, the good things we do, and the example we set. We made a sun and for each ray of light we thought of something that would help her to be an example.

I then pulled out my special little gift (made by the fabulous Heidi from hmschell ), a cute let your light shine picture to take with her to school. (Kuddos to Heidi - she was so helpful and switched out the wording for me!!) We attached it to her backpack - so she can always see it. And I might have snuck two more in her lunchpail and pencil box but who's counting. I know she will smile when she sees them. Wish I could be there to see her face.

After our lesson, we imparted some last words of advice to our little princess and then daddy gave her a special father's blessing. I think she felt pretty special as she sat in front of Nate and listened to her blessing.

I pray that she will take all the little pieces of light she has gathered over the years and will shine her brightest.

Let your light shine Bella. Let it shine...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

7 comments:

Raquel said...

Oh my what a cute idea!! Your such a fun mom! Thanks for sharing all your great ideas!

Natalie said...

These are just darling pictures and I love reading all about your family. Praying sweet Bella had a wonderful 1st day at school and many more wonderful, light-filled days to come!! xo

Erin said...

that is so darling :-)

Anonymous said...

So cute! Love it all! So....how much do you charge to follow my family around and photograph our life??? I loved all those pictures!! She is so cute!

Allenfamilyadventure said...

You are an awesome mom!! That brought tears to my eyes as I went through the same thing just a few days ago!!

Ben & Carly said...

BE-YOU-TIFUL! I loved every word. I felt like I just sat on the couch and talked to you (now that is writing in the authentic voice at it's best!) I adore you, do you know that? I hope so. I'm glad today went so well, I thought about you all day....(and so did my phone!) Bella looks darling, what a great message to send her off with. ah kids with creative moms are the luckiest!

Vonda Rodarte said...

Have a great year Bella!