Family fun day checklist:
-dark cave (check)
-butterflies (check)
-boat (check)
-camera (check...check.)
After sleeping in a bit (is there a better way to start a day?), we headed out of Lexington to explore -drumroll- the Lost River Cave in Bowling Green, KY.
The largest cave system in the world is right here in Kentucky (I know, who knew?), and while this cave isn't part of that huge system, its right next to it and is part of another large system that extends under almost the entire city of Bowling Green. So potentially the entire city could cave in. Note to self - never buy a house in Bowling Green.
The girls were so excited for their caving adventure - I almost think that they'd wear these hats around the house if we let them. I can only imgaine the games they'd invent...
And here we are waiting for the tour to begin...listening to the tour guide who gave us entirely too much information. I might have tuned out to take nature pictures...
I did hear something about blue holes - yeah I hadn't heard of them before either. Apparently there are no natural lakes in this part of KY, but instead you'll find these blue holes, which are areas where the underground rivers have popped through the ground to create pools. They look like they're placid, but at the bottom there are currents that can pull you underground. The deep blue color comes from the breakdown of something something...which does something. And the something... ooohhh... Bella you look cute on that rock...let me take your picture.
Entrance to the Lost River Cave. Apparently the underground rivers formed these caves...so the best way to view them is by boat. Sweet.
Its rumored that Jesse James used the cave as a hideout after robbing a nearby bank! The geniuses of the time decided to write the claim to fame ON the rock. Classy.
Quote of the day. As we began our descent into the cave, Bella turned to us and said "I don't think this is such a good idea!" She totally meant it to - there was some definite nervousness in her little eyes. Poor girl. I tried to reassure her. No worries! We are just going on a boat...into freezing water...into a cave...which is dark...and there might be bats...um um um. Do you want some candy?
The cave WAS dark so my camera was pretty much laid to rest. However I did get one slight picture of some of the formations while the guide was shining his flashlight. The rest was pretty cool, but you'll just have to take my word for it. My favorite part - having to duck as we speed under the cave wall - which was so low I wasn't sure if we were going to make it!! Everyone had to lean in. Heads together. I pretty much almost kissed the guy on the other side of the boat - that was interesting. Let's just say I found out he was a smoker. Yum. Bella and Sophie were all about it - the ducking - not the kissing.
Want to dance under the stars...er...stalagtites? Or be potentially whisked away by a certain masked opera ghost? You're in luck!! There's actually part of the cave that can be rented out for weddings, proms, parties, and the like, complete with a chandelier. How cool is that? Funny thing is that the cave was used as a nightclub during the prohibition era, so it has a pretty long history of party hosting.
After leaving the cave, we made our way to a butterfly sanctuary. As I'm sure you can imagine, Bella and Sophie LOVED this part of the day. After learning the difference between Monarchs and Painted Ladies, Sophie wandered around pointing at each butterfly she saw, saying "Monarch, Monarch, Lady, Monarch." She was so proud of herself as she identified them all. Now if she only had that much enthusiasum for her letters...
So many butterflies. Bella chased them to catch them. I chased them to photograph them. Sophie chased them to...well we are still working on how to be gentle.
Bella's new friend. I think it was quite mutual - sweet little guy landed right on her finger. SHE. WAS. IN. HEAVEN. And I took pictures. What else would I be doing?!! Ha ha.
AWWW. My girlies. Operative word being "girly." We maybe walked .9 miles - roudtrip - but we had to stop again only fifteen feet from the car. At least they are happy albeit slow. Such a fun day. A fun fun day.

Christmas
1 year ago
4 comments:
So fun! I am always amazed by the clarity of your pictures. How do you do it!?
Looks like you and the family had fun. I've lived in Ky my whole like and never been to this particular cave... By the way the girls are beautiful
Bravo my dear, Bravo. endearing, funny and read like a story. I loved it, felt like I was there. hey why wasn't I there? invite me next time!
That place looks really cool. I absolutely love exploring new areas.... and it looks like you found a good one. I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying KY.
Post a Comment