Thursday, April 19, 2012

Fort Sumter

So...I made a deal with Nate.  I'd take the pictures.  If he would write the posts.  It worked.  Score.

One of my favorite stops (Nate talking, not Stacie - although Stacie agreed it was pretty cool as we left).

A few interesting facts.

1. The fort was commanded by a Kentuckian (who knew)!
2. The walls were strong enough that the confederate cannon balls were basically bouncing harmlessly off of them.
3. The Union had to surrender only because a fire started near the powder magazine and they were out of food - so in order to save everyone - those inside and out - they surrendered.
4. When the Union surrendered, the Confederate commander ordered a full 100 canon salute to the departing soldiers.

The tour guide we had was awesome, which really made the experience. I could keep going with the fun facts, but don't want to give everything away.

Here is a great link if you want to read more about it!!

It was actually a very sobering/patriotic experience to be there at the fort. Makes me grateful for what those before us have done to ensure our freedom!
  PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

1 comments:

Mike and Chiye said...

Oh my goodness....I LOVE Charleston! Ft Sumpter is such a neat place too. Pretty crazy how not all of it is uncovered either. Glad you guys had a great time. Cute pics!