Friday, November 2, 2007

911 to the rescue

It's never a dull moment at the Hawley house...and this morning was no exception....unfortunately. So my car has been really weird lately...I think there is some short in it's electrical something or other...who knows...but it has been randomly locking and honking. The keys will be sitting on the counter and it will just start going crazy in the garage. So today...of all days...I decided that I would try and get the problem fixed. I grabbed both sets of car keys...the automatic lock system kind...and decide that maybe it could be the batteries need a change. I grab Bella and the diaper bag and head for the car. Open the door. Set the bag and keys inside the car so that I can put Bella in her car seat. Strap her in. Close the door. Walk over to the driver's side. Put my hand on the door handle....CLICK. The car locked itself! Yes...and BOTH sets of keys are in the car. To make a long and EXTREMELY EMBARRASSING story short. 911 came to the rescue. We would have liked to avoid this little situation but every locksmith we called said that we had to call 911 since there was a child inside. LAME. Yes...so we had an ambulance, paramedics, police car, and a locksmith. Isabella was so funny in the car...she liked looking at the big TRUCK...and she made all the animal noises for the police. Holy Heavens...so embarrassing. Even though it was totally humiliating...I was not above asking for a picture with all our resucers. Ha ha. Has this happened to anyone else??!! I feel like the worst parent!

The Rescue Crew
The scene at our house!

14 comments:

Brooke said...

Hi Stacie! Sorry that I haven't replied yet. It's been awhile since we last saw you- at the BYU men's choir concert...So first of all, your little Bella is so sweet. I loved her costume! Looks like you had a lot of fun at your many halloween parties! And, I am always so nervous about locking Noah in the car, esp. in the summer heat. But, your situation is kindof funny because your car has a mind of it's own! How strange! You are NOT the worst parent. I'm just glad that your car decided to lock her inside when it's cool outside and while in the garage! Too cute that you have a picture wit her rescuers :)

Trimbles said...

HAHA. Im glad she's ok. How funny, and how gutsy of you to ask if you can take a pic with them :) Only you!!! I would expect nothing less. So my car did the same thing on Sunday. Locked itself. So tell me what you figure out because mine might be doing the same thing. You're too cute. I like Bellas cheesy face:)

Cam and Afton said...

Thats hilarious.....at least to the onlooker. Thats makes for a nice and stressful day. So did you get the problem solved?

Anya said...

The best part of your story is that you had the guts to ask for a picture with all those rescuers! Love it!!!

Scott said...

This is hilarious! And to get a picture with the rescuers makes it all the better. Nice post!

Sarah Goodsell said...

I know it was not funny at the time but it is a great laugh now! I would have asked for a picture too. It makes a great blog!

Christoph said...

Priceless... this is by far one of the best stories i've ever heard! It is almost comparable to our adventure at Lake Powell... remember when we got stuck on the boat, and we had Nate teach us mores code over the phone! Only with you sis, only with you! (p.s.- i love the pic!)
- love Mr. Salt

Anonymous said...

Oh no...so sorry that happened! Oh well, at least it's a funny story now. My wife wants to borrow that Halloween costume if: 1. we have a girl and 2. we move to Vegas, anyways...our blog is hinrichs.wordpress.com. Thanks for having me again! -Wade

Rachel B. said...

So funny! That totally just happened to my friend at our little roommate reunion 2 weeks ago! We pulled up to meet her and she was standing outside her car with her little girl locked inside. Exact same story...the police came. This might sound obnoxious, but it's actually better if a kid's inside because then the police come unlock it really quickly and for free. Locksmith's will charge you a ton! I have locked my keys in my car so many times and have come very close to doing it with Reese in there. So no you are absolutely not the worst parent, but totally normal!

Rachel B. said...

And I would totally have asked for a picture too. I had a random stranger once take a picture of me in a 7-11 drinking a slurpee for the sole purpose of putting it on my blog on 7/11 this past year. We're both blogging dorks I guess! ;D

Kelsey said...

LOL! That is so cute! Hopefully your car will be fixed soon! That is hillarious that Bella was swooning all the rescuers! =)

Shelise said...

Ok, this is too funny. I mean obvioulsy its not FUNNY, but now that its all over it is a little comical. I guess at least it wasnt the middle of the summer and extremely hot in the car. Thats cute though that she was a happy girly. (By the way this i Taralees sister, Shelise. Hi) Your little girl is SO cute. I love to look at your blog.

Brittney G. said...

Hey Stacie! I can't find your email address so I'm off Friday how does that sound to get together? Sorry we couldn't do it this past weekend my sister and brother in-law came into town.

Shelley said...

What a great story! This hasn't happened to me, but Evan did munch on a bug at the gym when he was a baby. It was kind of gross, but I wasn't really worried about it. The gym childcare called 911 and the fire department came out to check his vitals. He was perfectly fine and even the buff firemen were taken with his cuteness.