Hooray...she is finally here!! We are so excited to announce the arrival of our new little bundle of PINK...and yes...we finally have a name!
SOPHIE JANE HAWLEY
Born: Thursday, August 7, 2008
Time: 9:04 am
Weight: 8 pounds, 8 ounces
Length: 19 1/2 inches
Everyone is doing great...and we are all so HAPPY!!! Thanks for all your love and support! We love you all!!!
Here is her crazy birth story...sorry it's kind of long!!!
So like I explained in my last post...we were scheduled to go into the hospital on August 5 to be induced, but that (like just about everything else with this delivery) didn't go exactly as planned. Our check-in time was 8:00 p.m., so we spent most of the afternoon and evening getting all ready to go. I was so excited...to just get there and get started...totally anticipating it ALL DAY!! Finally, we were ready to go, when...DUM DUM DUM the phone rang. Bet you can't guess who it was---the HOSPITAL...calling to tell us that they had NO DELIVERY BEDS available so we couldn't come in. WHAT?? We were so frustrated!! We asked when they thought we could come in and they told us the earliest time was 4:00 a.m. Why in the world you would have someone come into the hospital to be induced at 4 am is beyond me...but...we wanted to get on with everything so we agreed to wait for their call. Unfortunately...Nate and I didn't sleep very well that night because we were so worked up and waiting!!
Finally at 5:15 am, we got the call. We not only got the call, but they asked us where we were, to which we could only laugh and say, "waiting for your phone call." We got to the hospital at 6:00 a.m. ready to get started, expecting to have a baby that day. Well when we got there, it had been so busy that night that there was no nurse for me, no contraction monitor, and no remote for our TV...ha ha...Nate was pretty sad about the last one! Ha ha. They also couldn't find the doctor's orders, so there we sat waiting for something to happen.
A few hours went by (with us in the labor and delivery room waiting patiently...IV in...antibiotics going...waiting) when our doctor came in. Dr. Bohman is GREAT and he was just as frustrated as we were about the situation. He had left orders the night before and fully expected to find us on the road to delivery, so when he found out we had just been sitting there, he did everything he could to make sure things happened faster after that. Originally I was supposed to be induced using Cervadil over night and then put on Pitocin in the morning, but well that was out, so we started right away on Pitocin. He also wanted to break my water, so he had the anesthesiologist come in and give me the epidural...without medication...but just to get it ready to go! (Kind of funny that I hadn't even started contractions...or anything for that matter...yet I was getting an epidural) because once my water broke everyone expected things to go really fast. The only problem was that there was no way that they could break my water! The baby was still really high and I was not dilated at all, so there I was with my epidural and IV...but no labor! The only highlight to the weird situation was that I HATE NEEDLES...and so after getting the IV and epidural needles over with...I thought the rest of the delivery would be SMOOTH SAILING! Boy was I wrong! Ha ha!!
To make a long story short (or kind of short I guess) I was on Pitocin ALL day Wednesday...they even MAXED out the amount of Pitocin they could give me, and yet I never dilated past a 2!! I wasn't even numb...the contractions just weren't that bad!! So by 8:00 pm Dr. Bohman took pity on me and stopped the Pitocin so I could eat and get a little bit of rest.
So that night (Wednesday night) I was given Cervadil to help me dilate. We settled in for what we thought would be a pretty easy night because they were going to give me an Ambien...HEAVEN...so I could sleep. Instead, I ended up spiking a fever, throwing up, getting the shakes, and actually experiencing some pretty painful contractions. CRAZY!! Plus...I am trying not to move too much because I REALLY don't want to have to redo the epidural...I had the needle in and the line running out my back and taped to my gown just waiting to be hooked up.
So we finally make it through the night...by morning...a little after 8 am...I now have three different medications running through my IV trying to help with my fever. Ha ha...epidural without meds...and I AM ONLY DILATED TO A 3!!!! The nurse...with orders from the Dr...breaks my water hoping that will induce...SOMETHING. Ha ha. Dr. Bohman stopped by at about 8:30 am and we all just had to laugh...it was turning into quite the comedy. Soon after I was a 4...HOORAY...progress...but who was getting their hopes up...we thought we still had a long long way to go. He left to go check on another patient at a hospital across the way...and we just waited. The nurse checked me ten minutes later and I was a 6!!! WOO-HOO!!! By now I am really feeling some intense contractions so I decided to finally ask for my EPIDURAL MEDS!! The anesthesiologist hooks it up...and well...it was only making my numb on ONE SIDE...and not even the whole side was numb...just my upper thigh, stomach, and EYE!! Yes...my right eye started to DROOP!! Ha ha. The nurses and anesthesiologist started to discuss the possibility of having another epidural put in when...I FELT THE BABY'S HEAD!!! I told the nurse...I think she is here...and she didn't quite believe me...UNTIL she checked...and then YELLED..."CALL DR. BOHMAN!!!" Yeah...so then for the next TEN MINUTES...I had to hold the baby in with only my right thigh, stomach, and EYE numb! Ha ha.
Finally Dr. Bohman arrived...after running TWO red lights...got his apron on...one glove...and caught the baby!! WOO-HOO...SHE WAS FINALLY HERE!!! I was just glad to have it all over...and still can't believe it took me 24 hours to get to a 3...and only about 15 minutes to go from a 3 to a 10!! Quite IRONIC!! Ha ha.
We were soon moved to a recovery room and were able to bond with our new little bundle! SOPHIE JANE...which yes...it took us two days to finally name her.
We ended up having to stay at the hospital for 48 hours after delivery because I had spiked a fever...and they wanted to watch the baby for infection...but...to make the whole hospital experience even more memorable the FIRE ALARM went off in the middle of the night for about 45 MINUTES and the water to the whole hospital was turned off!! Nate and I just couldn't stop laughing...something like this could only happen to us...seriously!!
Even with her..."SLOW yet FAST" delivery and all the weirdness that came with it...we wouldn't change it for anything...we love our new little GIRL!!!
Special thanks to our AWESOME NURSES...AND DR. BOHMAN!! What a RIDE!!
Christmas
1 year ago












32 comments:
Congratulations! That is a hilarious story, I'm glad you guys were able to laugh about it all. Hope you are able to get some rest!
She is so sweet! I am glad you both survived and with a smile! Now the fun starts... congrats!!
Wow, what a story! She is too cute! We are so happy for you guys, can't wait to meet her.
Okay I just can't stop laughing!!! I thought my induction with Daxter was... well complicated... until I heard your story! I think that the trick is that you shouldn't have a baby (or three) in Utah first, you get spoiled!!! By the way, we went in at 4am for ours too... why on earth they do that is totally beyond me!!! I'm so glad she is finally here! And August 7th is my favorite day of the whole year ;) Congratulations on baby Sophie (I love her name too!) You are the best and I'm so sad that I live so far away that I can't come and help you out or anything... but I'm thinking of you and hoping you guys get some rest and get into a good routine soon!!! Love ya!
Becky
Quite the story -- that is CRAZY! I'm glad she finally made it. She looks cute and a lot like her big sister. Congrats!
Congratulations! Poor girl though with the labor story. Crazy! I'm glad everything turned out well and that she is here! By the way, Dr. Bohman delivered at least 2 of my sisters kids. She LOVED him. I think he moved away or something for a little while so he couldn't deliver all of hers which made her sad. Anyway, congrats and I hope everything else is going well!
Man, what a delivery! I can't believe it took that long, but fast in the end! Congrats...I'm so happy its finally all over with and you are home! She is absolutely gorgeous...and has beautiful coloring, no jaundice what so ever! Lucky momma!! My hubby read this post too and just couldn't believe it!
Wow, I bet you are so glad that is over. Now you have an adorable baby girl. She is beautiful. Congratulations!
Now Isaac has a play mate! Yeah! Let me know when you want me to watch bella! It can get a little crazy...stressful...with two! My Dr. is always getting speeding tickets when delivering children...imagine if your Dr. got pulled over twice! It i crazy that the cops don't escort the DR.! We can't wait to meet her! Let me know if you need dinner!
Congratulations you guys! I'm glad that she finally made it! She's beautiful. Have so much fun!
Great Post! and Congrats to you for not being pregnant anymore and congrats on another little girl! Good thing too, Sophie will get to share big sis's hand me downs. What a fun time. I hope Bella doesn't get too jealous... unavoidable I suppose.
holy moly what a story! Glad all is well. Bella is sobig and beautiful! Congrats! your little one is so sweet, i'm so happy for you!
Yeah! What a sweet baby. I have been checking your blog everyday in anticipation! She is gorgeous. Hopefully everything is going well!
What a BEAUTIFUL baby but I wasn't afraid she would be anything but. Sounds like you have a fun story to give her a hard time about forever! Good luck with baby #2. It really is soooo fun!
that's hilarious...sort of! :) congratulations! i think sophie already looks like bella! :)
Wow! What a story. And so fun to write everything down so you can look back someday and say, "Oh yeah. I remember all that!" Congratulations! She is beautiful. I bet Bella is in heaven being a little mommy! I am so happy for you guys and that Sophie is doing well.
What a story! Love the name. She is just beautiful! CONGRATS! Looks like Bella is already in love. You are one cute family. Get some sleep! We ar so happy for you.
Oh honey, only you! I love it. The whole story! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA.... Im glad she's here safe and sound, and can I say I think this stuff woudl only happen to you. You're such a good sport!
So beautiful! What a crazy story Stacie! Good thing you are already Superwoman, so that was a breeze to you. Its so sweet to see Bella as a big sister!!
Congratulations!!! What a beautiful baby girl and I love the name too!!! Sounds like quite the experience :) but so glad she is here safe and sound!!! Hope you are recovering well!! What a gorgeous family you have!
Congrats to all 4 of you! She looks like a little chubby baby. Cute.
What a story! So glad you guys are doing well and hopefully no more crazy eye! She looks so sweet, I can't wait to meet her! Congrats!!
Okay. I hope you keep that and print it out for your journal. You will want to remember all those details someday. :) Glad she is finally here. She is so cute. I sure hope, though, that my story isn't like that at all. :) Please say Southern Hills just doesn't happen to be like that for everybody. Take care and get some much needed sleep, in between finals and ALL!
Congrats! Glad she finally made it and and everyone is doing well. She's beautiful.
Congrats we left weds weds night for trev's brother wedding and I wanted to know all weekend if you had her. I'm glad she's here and you've got a "fun" story to tell maybe not at the time but now it's over you can laugh! She's beautiful!
Sorry Emily is my new sis in law didn't know she was logged on!
Congratulation on your new arrival. She is beautiful. Dr. Bohman is WONDERFUL! We love him.
So happy for you guys! She is precious! Funny story. I love delivery stories! At least the doc was there to catch...even if it was in the nic of time!
Your baby is beautiful!!! I had a similar delivery with little brady. But like you say once they get here it's all worth it. So I finally set up my blog!!! Hope you are feeling well. I am kind of feeling a little left out of the baby circle, so send the baby vibe my way!! (don't forget to send the girl vibe with it!!)
Congrats! I just wanted to make sure you got my email about pictures! Let me know which day works best for you guys!
How are you getting Dr. Bohman as your main OB? I see him for ultrasounds...I think that is him at least from the picture?
Post a Comment