Friday, April 20, 2012

Charleston: Plantations and Battery

PhotobucketFort Sumter was just the beginning of our Charleston adventures. We spent 2 days in the city and it really wasn't enough.
We spent an afternoon exploring the Magnolia plantation. Dating back to the 1700s, rice was the main product of the plantation. Most of the labor was provided by slaves until after the Civil War when the majority of the plantation had to be sold. This isn't the original plantation house - it was burnt down by the Union army during the Civil War - but was built in its place. Keep in mind the original house was even grander. PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket These were the slave quarters. Just compare them to the plantation house and you'll see just how horrible the system was. Single rooms with no insolation, no funiture, walls falling apart (see the picture below - the walls were filled with anything the slaves had - cardboard, wood, stuffing - just to insulte). Hard to believe that they made people live in those conditions. Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket This would be where I made Sophie *pose* by the creek for a picture. Luckily she didn't become some old crocs dinner. The stream - as I found out a few minutes later - is filled with alligators! Who knew? Scare me to death. Photobucket On Market Street in downtown Charleston there is a huge indoor/outdoor market. It was probably the busiest place we visited, full of vendors selling just about everything and tourists trying to find the perfect Charleston momento. We found our Christmas tree ornament (we buy one everywhere we visit, a family tradition) and tried maple pralines, which were awesome! Photobucket The city itself has a certain charm - the streets, the buildings, the people, and we found a great way to see a lot of the historic district was by taking a carriage tour. Sometimes tours like this are pretty lame, but this one was lovely! Again, we lucked out with a great tourguide, we got the front row in the carriage, and the route was perfect because it took through the posh area of town and down to the sea wall. Charleston is unlike any city I've ever visited because they actually have a law that prevents anyone from changing buildings that have been around for longer than 75 years, which explains why there are so many old, yet well preserved homes. All these old homes really define the city.

Photobucket This one was built by some of the wealthiest Charlestonians a couple hundred years ago and is still owned by the same family today! We were amazed to learn how many of the homes were still in the family 200 plus years later. (Notice the spiky metal barbs on the top of the fence?  To prevent a slave uprising.  They didn't want slaves to sneak in and kill them while they were sleeping.  And it's still there. Amazing.)
Photobucket Lots and lots of churches, along with some very old graveyards. Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Finally we ended our day at Poogan's Porch and enjoyed some authentic Charleston cuisine. (She-Crab soup anyone?!!!  Yum!)  The biscuits were probably the best I've ever had. 

What a great city!

Just give me a hoop skirt and a parasol - I think I'm home.  =)

3 comments:

Becky Chatwin said...

Looks lovely! I will have to check it out someday. I love your pics!

Mike and Chiye said...

I can't explain how jealous I am right now!!! Hahaha! I LOVE Charleston! I would move back in a heartbeat. Sure looks like you guys had GREAT time!

Erin said...

wow! what a beautiful city!!